We teach children and adults how understand nature, its inhabitants as well as the work of foresters. We want them to know the woods and how to behave there.
The need to form the public attitude towards the woods and forestry, foresters and their work has led to the conception of a discipline, which is now known as forest pedagogy. In Vojenské lesy a statky ČR (VLS ČR), there is a professional team of forest pedagogues, who organise dozens of events for thousands of children each year. Forest pedagogues can be found in all VLS forestry divisions.
What is forest pedagogy?
• arranging an encounter between a human and nature via an erudite forester, who is in direct contact with nature and the woods
• getting to know nature in the form of experience pedagogy and games in the woods
• the simplest way for foresters to describe the woods and forestry to the public
For whom is forest pedagogy meant?
• all ages, but especially for children and youth
What are the goals of forest pedagogy?
• to deepen public interest in forests, nature and wood as a renewable raw material
• to improve human attitude toward the forest and forestry
• to explain the role of a forester and gamekeeper within sustainable forestry
• to support an active approach toward environmental protection
• to introduce options of active use of leisure time to the public